glibc vs. eglibc

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Wed May 6 16:21:34 UTC 2009

Taking a page from Redhat's "let's break it if we can" upgrade policy,
Debian appears to be switching from glibc to eglibc:

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/8i8os/debian_is_switching_to_eglibc/

Of great concern is that this library is not guaranteed to be binary
compatible with glibc.  I'm all for progress, not so much of a fan of
pointless changes that lead to regressions and broken code.

What are Canonical's plans for 9.10+?  Follow Debian into the abyss,
hoping for greener pastures in the Great Beyond?  Does anyone think
maybe it's time to provide some stability for the
corporate/institutional IT folks who have stuck their necks out to argue
for open source solutions?