Removing single program from multi program packages

Martin Soto soto at informatik.uni-kl.de
Tue Mar 24 14:57:27 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-23 at 11:55 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> While I don't know how this _could_ be done, I agree that there are good
> reasons why it _should_.  My particular pet peeve are the screensaver
> packages, where there are some screensavers that I want removed because
> they don't actually hide the screen.  Unlike your game example, this isn't
> even something that can be handled by editing the menus, you have to
> physically remove the program.

On the other hand, this sounds like something that could actually be a
security issue for some people, and that may have to be addressed by the
package maintainer by, for example, splitting the package. Still, this
doesn't mean that Ubuntu requires a general mechanism for cherry-picking
files from an installed package. Ubuntu's (and Debian's) package system
is already quite complex, and, being the core piece of infrastructure it
is, you don't want to mess with it unless it is really necessary.

Cheers,

M. S.