Removing single program from multi program packages

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 23 14:55:47 UTC 2009

Mike Jones wrote:

>     Thanks for your reply. I understand the realistic restrictions that a
> developer faces when packaging applications.
>     Is there just no way for a package maintaner to not have extra work
> piled on their already hefty load while at the same time we allow a user
> of Ubuntu to remove most traces of a program in a package with multiple
> programs without having to also remove the rest of them? Is it worth doing
> even if its possible?

While I don't know how this _could_ be done, I agree that there are good
reasons why it _should_.  My particular pet peeve are the screensaver
packages, where there are some screensavers that I want removed because
they don't actually hide the screen.  Unlike your game example, this isn't
even something that can be handled by editing the menus, you have to
physically remove the program.
--
derek