Replacing network-offline (old version 2xmonitor) with NM wlan 0% signal strength icon

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 18 10:25:49 UTC 2009

hi,
Am Dienstag, den 17.03.2009, 18:55 +0000 schrieb Mat Tomaszewski:
> (``-_-´´) -- BUGabundo wrote:
> > Olá Mat e a todos.
> >
> > On Tuesday 17 March 2009 14:31:59 Mat Tomaszewski wrote:
> >
> >> - why not show separate icons for all connection types in the panel?
> >>

> > because gnome, kde, freedesktop all want to reduce the number of stuff on the notification bar.
> >

> That's great, in principle that sounds like a totally right way to go.
> Yet at the same time most people raise the need for a precise
> information about their connection status.
> One of the things we're debating on now is what the user *really* needs
> to see on his panel as a persistent indicator. One of the results of
> this debate is already visible in Jaunty, with messaging indicator
> aiming to replace all the various icons thrown in by different messaging
> apps. The next steps will inevitably include the N-M behaviours and
> icons, and it would be great to hear what the individual views on that are.
your system can only use one default route (you can set multiple, but
only the last set default one will be used as actual default), the
interface this route points to should be the one you show the icon for,
additional interfaces should be configurable through the menu (if you
change to a different default interface it should indeed change the
icon) that way you dont waste panel space for confusing information and
show the most relevant info the user needs to know about.

ciao
	oli