gparted, ubiquity and other packages left behind by karmic a2 installer

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 30 00:39:30 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 09:17:03PM -0400, Nathan Dorfman wrote:
> Update: just did a fresh install, using karmic-desktop-amd64.iso.
>
> One more thing I just noticed is that after installation, it takes me
> to the live desktop screen. Any idea why it does this?

That only happens if the installer crashes. You can use the live session
to extract /var/log/syslog and /var/log/installer/debug (or, better,
just run 'ubuntu-bug ubiquity' if you have a network connection and
it'll file a bug with everything we need) before rebooting.

(It's surprising that you apparently didn't see a dialog informing you
that the installer had crashed. It must have gone down pretty hard.)

> Anyway, it hung instead of rebooting, as expected. After resetting and
> booting into the new installation, /var/log/installer doesn't exist.
> ubiquity, casper, gparted, etc. are installed according to apt.
>
> So, I should enter the bug, as you suggested earlier, right?

Yes, preferably using 'ubuntu-bug ubiquity' from that live session after
the installer crashes; there are no useful logs on your installed system
now that could help us.

(It may of course be a duplicate of an existing bug, but the easiest way
for us to tell is to analyse the logs.)