Replace PulseAudio with OSS v4?

Peter Kirn peter at createdigitalmedia.net
Tue Jun 23 22:58:38 UTC 2009

I just want to add to this, this story is a rather inaccurate portrayal of
OSSv4 / ALSA:
http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2009/06/state-of-sound-in-linux-not-so-sorry.html

*However* -- check comments for "dawhead." That's Paul Davis of JACK
weighing in. Obviously, integration of all these things could be much better
than it is; that's a given. But the perception that ALSA is somehow
deficient from a quality standpoint seems to me to be distorted. ALSA works
very well from a pro audio standpoint when combined with JACK, once you get
it all working -- and even on a 'pro' machine, in combination with Pulse
Audio for your day-to-day "consumer" tasks. (This is effectively what's
happened on Windows, as well, with Vista/7's beefed-up mixing for consumers
in DirectSound and such, and ASIO remaining the choice for serious
low-latency work.)

And Luke is absolutely right, some of these oddities of OSSv4 I think are
deal killers. The last thing anyone wants right now is another massive
shakeup - better to keep working through ALSA issues.

But, generally, don't listen to me, listen to Paul. :) I hear he's also got
a presentation in development on these issues, which would be really
helpful; there aren't many people who have both the perspective of being the
JACK developer *and* an app developer (Ardour) -- not on any OS.

Peter
http://createdigitalmusic.com