shameful censoring of mono opposition

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 15:35:15 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Mackenzie Morgan<macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> IIRC, <video> is:
> 1) only in HTML5, not XHTML

Which is irrelevant. Nobody uses XHTML. The kind of fake XHTML that
some web designers use can use <video> without problem.

> 2) no longer requiring OGG Theora
>
> #2 just gets us right back to the old problem where we need fifty billion
> codecs to play anything on the internet.

Yet, you see that Youtube and Dailymotion use Theora in their <video>
implementations. <video> is going to be a big boost for unencumbered
media formats.

>> And even if we were to use Flash technology, that's not the same as
>> using Microsoft technology. Ubuntu's main competitor is Microsoft.
>> Using someone else's dogfood (Mono) because your own dogfood (Java) is
>> crap is not good advertising.
>
> I would argue that our main competitor is Apple.  People jumping ship from
> Microsoft tend to go to Apple.  We're here to show there's an alternative to
> that jump.  Jumping from Apple to Microsoft is not as common.

Microsoft is the market leader. Ergo, main competitor. And if Apple
were the market leader, we're still "free Windows", which is not
something an Apple user cares about.

>> Mono is used for two applications: a photo manager and a note-taking
>> program. Those programs are hardly a selling point of Ubuntu. And
>> therefore, the use of Mono is unwarranted.
>
> Yet the desktop would be incomplete without them and they have no *good*
> replacements.

That's a problem that needs to be fixed. Though I don't use either
application. Nautilus does just fine for my photo gathering needs, and
I see Tomboy as a toy, really. If you want a real-world useful
note-taking program, you need something like Xournal which records
your scriblings. What I'd do with Tomboy, is what Gedit does for me.

Remco