Rant and Re: Ubuntu-devel-discuss Digest, Vol 32, Issue 31

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Fri Jul 24 21:47:38 UTC 2009

Op vrijdag 24-07-2009 om 12:33 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef C.J.
Adams-Collier:
> On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 04:00 +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
> > Last time I checked, Thunderbird didn't support that very well--while
> > that bloody incomplete non-working one that comes with Ubuntu by default
> > does.   ;-)
>
> What, Evolution?  Would you mind filing some bugs when you run into
> problems (if you haven't stopped using it)?

I'm using Evolution (as you could have seen in the e-mail headers of
course), but what I said is that _Thunderbird_ didn't work well with
MIME digests last time I checked.  It was Anthony who described
Evolution as:

        "I know that the OS Install comes with a mail client.  But what
        if your user wants a working one instead of some RTFM incomplete
        or non-working pre-installed application?"

... and I was just referring to that trying to be humorous.

BTW: if there is anything that annoys me in Evolution, then it's how
threading & ordering & thread-related filtering works (or doesn't work)
in it, but you're right that I should write a detailed report about that
& file a bug if I want to get that fixed...  :)

> > > If you are tired of RTFM keep in mind that in my
> > > knowledge (from '04) not a single person involved in Debian gets paid
> > > for his work on the distro,
>
> Well, some folks use Debian in their work, and would not have a job
> unless Debian worked smoothly... so, although they're not being paid
> *directly*, one could argue that they are in fact Debian shills.

Well, Microsoft employees won't have a job if MS Windows didn't work
"good enough" either, so what's the difference (except for the business
model & structure)?  Actually, Microsoft pays employees to make sure
some third-party applications keep working well on new Windows-versions.
Because they benefit from it...

> > That's not true: some of them can work on Debian during their working
> > hours, so they get paid to work on Debian.
>
> I don't think they are being pad to *work on Debian* so much as being
> paid while they work on Debian ;)

Intel pays some Xorg & kernel devs (and not only to develop the intel
drivers), Google pays some of their devs to work on Python & other open
source projects, Redhat pays employees to work on Fedora, the kernel,
etc. etc., so why do you think no companies pay Debian developers to
work on Debian?

--
Jan Claeys