Standing in the street trying to hear yourself think

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Fri Jul 3 18:53:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 14:23:19 -0400
Evan <eapache at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Evan R. Murphy
> <evanrmurphy at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > 2009/7/3 Evan <eapache at gmail.com>:
> > > I've been subscribed to this list and filing bugs for over a year
> > > now,
> > and I
> > > hadn't even heard of Launchpad Answers before now. Maybe I live
> > > under a rock, but I think promotion / awareness would go a long
> > > way.
> >
> > I dream about a much tighter integration of all the community
> > discussion tools. (The fact that such an experienced contributor
> > could not know about Launchpad Answers is very telling about our
> > room for improvement in this area.) If a question is answered once
> > on Ubuntu Forums, what if it never had to come up again on IRC,
> > Launchpad Answers or a mailing list (or again on the forums), and
> > vice versa? The obvious difficulty, of course, is implementation:
> > How do you accurately index all of these diverse media (IRC channel
> > logs, Ubuntu Forums and mailing list archives, Launchpad Answers
> > questions, etc.) and elegantly connect them to one another. I would
> > love to help make this happen, but I'm not sure I'm smart enough to
> > get it started, or even how possible it is today.
> >

> We also seem to have a duplication of effort on several fronts. At
> last glance we have:
>
> - mailing lists
> - IRC
> - wiki
> - launchpad
> - launchpad answers
> - forums
>
> Launchpad is for bug reporting and tracking, beyond that I have no
> idea where the actual division of responsibilities lies. Perhaps
> clarifying that (ex: Wiki is for Howtos only, forums are only
> for ...) and then providing a meta-support page for each topic would
> help. So somebody looking for help from Ubuntu gets directed to
> support.ubuntu.com/Audio. This would have links such as:
>
> I want to know how to do something (wiki)
> I want to report a bug on the topic (lp)
> I think I have a bug but I'm not sure (lp answers?)
> I have a question or suggestion concerning the future of the topic
> (devel-discuss)
> None of the above (#ubuntu-signpost)

Please don't elimate or forget the value of mailing lists. Many of us
would prefer to seek in those instead of forums. Forums require me to
read each item in sequence, to get to the pertinent informatiom. On a
mailing list, I can rapidly decide if what I am looking at applies to
me, and move to the next message immediately (if threading has been
used correctly). I have yet to find a way to do that in the forums.
Instead, I often find I must wade through pages of data, to find a
paragraph in them that I need.

--
Charlie Kravetz