Translating GCompris to Luganda

Jonathan Ernst jonathan at ernstfamily.ch
Tue Jan 27 15:25:43 UTC 2009

Hello,

Le mardi 27 janvier 2009 à 10:17 +0300, H. Ryan Jones a écrit :
[...]
> I've found the instructions for how to make new voice recordings and
> plan to buy a microphone and begin doing that soon. However, I may
> need a little more detailed instructions than those included in the
> info help file in order to make the written translations.  I'm
> downloading the source code now, but I'm not able to visit the
> internet very often as I spend most of my time in the village. Any
> help you could give me would be much appreciated.

You should either start a new Gnome Translation Project Group
(http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject) for Luganda or, if it's too
much work, submit your work to the Gcompris project directly (and not to
launchpad/ubuntu) : http://gcompris.net/-Contact- . This will make your
work much more useful as it'll make it available to every distribution
and not only Ubuntu.

As for the technicalities, Gcompris, like most open source projects,
use .po files (compiled into .mo) for translations (i.e. gettext).

You can see examples here :
http://svn.gnome.org/viewvc/gcompris/trunk/po/

Generate your initial .po file from the source code using

intltool-update lu

(if lu is the correct iso code for Luganda)

you'll want to do :

sudo aptitude install gettext intltool

and then read :

man msgfmt
man intltool-update

Editing .po file can be done with any text editor or specialized editors
like poedit or gtranslator.

Best regards.