video card (intel) problems in jaunty

Christopher Halse Rogers chalserogers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 20:19:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Vincenzo Ciancia <ciancia at di.unipi.it> wrote:
> On 18/02/2009 Christopher Halse Rogers wrote:
>> This is known by the X team, but I'm not sure what they're planning to
>> do about it.
>
> Is it a problem of the drivers or of the server?

It's a driver problem.

> What is the ubuntu policy about this? I see that there are many bugs
> about uxa on launchpad. Is it possible to do a forward port of the old
> drivers (if they are the problem?). Otherwise, as usual I would prefer a
> clear statement: is it just a known problem in ubuntu, and there is
> nobody who can do anything about that?

I'm not entirely sure what you want here.  Yes, it's a known problem
in Ubuntu, and upstream.  There are plenty of people who can do
something about it, though, by working with upstream to actually
resolve the problems.

> That is: is this a know regression which must be left in the stable
> release?

I can't speak for the X team, but from what I've gathered the team is
looking at, in roughly this order:
a) Whether UXA can be enabled by default.  This is where upstream is
going, and doesn't suffer from the (apparently terrible) performance
problems, but it's much less tested and doesn't seem to to work
properly for everyone.
b) Really, really hoping the upstream Intel drivers have the EXA
performance regressions fixed.
c) Work out whether we can ship an older driver release.

I don't think it's possible to state whether or not this regression
will remain in the final release at this point.  There's still a fair
amount of time left to fix it.