Installation fails: how to know why? + Audio and video card problems in jaunty

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:06:21 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 18 February 2009 2:24:09 pm Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> Another question is about audio on an intel video card... the gnome
> startup sound is very noisy, may this be related to pulseaudio? Is this
> a known problem?

You can experiment with enabling/disabling "glitch-free PulseAudio."  It's
meant to improve performance for sound, but it turns out that some of the
sound cards & drivers are in bad enough shape that their bugs then become
extremely noticeable.  I *think* glitch-free is disabled in current Jaunty.

The next PulseAudio upload will include enabling auto-spawn.  This will only
affect people using ubuntu-desktop, not kubuntu-desktop or xubuntu-desktop
(though if you have ubuntu-desktop installed and use KDE or XFCE, that could
be interesting).  We expect this to fix some of the problems surrounding when
PulseAudio starts versus when login sounds play.  We also expect there to be
bugs to be ironed out.  It is not clear yet whether this will be enabled in
the final release.  It depends on the fix:breakage ratio.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo