GDM upgrade questions

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 16:08:38 UTC 2009

Hi,

I suddenly noticed the spec for upgrading GDM[1] to the awesome new
version. Excellent! I've been running gdm-new from a PPA for a while
now. It may not do themes, but that is easily offset by the fact that it
looks like the rest of my desktop already and has really smooth
animations. I could be imagining things, but the way it works seems to
improve login speeds as well :)

Will Jaunty be configuring the default session for GDM? The version I
have in Intrepid is very simple; it just has the little battery monitor
and an assistive technologies applet. For example, it would be really
beneficial if the Network Manager applet and the volume control was
running at the login screen. Network Manager has support for system-wide
settings, for example, so having it at login makes a ton of sense.
(Perhaps an onscreen keyboard would be a good idea, too).

I believe in Fedora they configure GDM fairly extensively, although I
can't quite remember exactly what is running in its session.

Bye,
Dylan McCall

(On another line of thinking: This + PolicyKit opens up some neat
possibilities worth pursuing. Wouldn't it be awesome if people could add
a user / guest account straight from the login screen?)

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/Jaunty/GdmUpgrade