Fwd: Is disabling ctrl-alt-backspace really such a good idea? - no.

Jeff Hanson jhansonxi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 18:06:55 UTC 2009

> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:30:38 +0000
> From: Andrew Sayers <andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org>
> Subject: Re: Fwd: Is disabling ctrl-alt-backspace really such a good
>        idea?   -       no.
> To: ubuntu-devel-discuss at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Make tty1 run a simple ncurses application similar to friendly-recovery,
> which would give you a set of options like "restart your computer", "log
> out", and "go back to your graphical session".  Then people can do
> c-a-f1 instead of c-a-b to get 99% of the value without the risk.
> Ubuntu users that really want a shell wouldn't be that inconvenienced,
> as they can still use c-a-f1 to c-a-f6.

I think this is a good idea.  My use case for C-A-B is when
full-screen games hang.  Windows users are used to C-A-D when
something bad happens and C-A-B is a natural response.  Your proposal
would be better but I have a suggestion.  Switching to a VT and
killing a hung application is not easy.  A full-screen process control
with a kill function (easier than top) would be a lot better than just
killing X.  The only remaining issue would be resetting desktop
resolution and the mouse pointer which often is disabled when a
full-screen application is killed.  My solution for the latter is to
run a full-screen application and exit normally which usually corrects
the problem.