Thoughts for assisting those with limited bandwidth

Davyd McColl davydm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 06:00:00 UTC 2009

On Saturday 31 January 2009 13:16:25 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> If you want to avoid those sorts of updates and only get the security
ones,
> you can disable the "updates" repository and just use "security".  That'd
> result in quite a lot of the updates being eliminated.  There are also
> changelogs available in the update window.  If the bug in question doesn't
> affect you, you can uncheck the update.

Neither of those options are really satisfactory:

If I were to follow the first step, then I wouldn't get feature /
minor-bugfix
updates for ALL packages, not just the ones that are a little large. And if
I follow the second, then I'm nagged every day about the larger packages
that
I haven't updated -- not to mention that I don't always bother to read all
of
the changelogs when I get my pretty-much daily update notice -- there are
often 10-30 packages in that list! I don't mind spending the bandwidth on
an update -- the issue is apparent bandwidth wastage for something which is
a very minor update. Even if the update applied to me, it's quite hefty
to get said update at 70mb download for the tweak of one options in
.config.

Instead of being just another moo in the wilderness, I will, as someone else
on this mailing list suggested, give it some thought myself (: