Any news on skype+pulseaudio+intel_hda_realtek ?

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Sun Feb 1 21:53:16 UTC 2009

When I upgraded my hardy laptop to intrepid I lost audio/mic in Skype:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-plugins/+bug/288269/comments/10

Recently someone posted a comment with some steps that fixed the issue for
me:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-plugins/+bug/288269/comments/10

...for _5 months_ I've had people call me on Skype without being able to
answer the call. Instead I had to press the HANG UP button and then send a
text based chat message explaining that my microphone didn't work because
I "upgraded" by Ubuntu. Due to all this bad publicity for Ubuntu, the
people I usually talk to on Skype won't convert their Windows installs to
Ubuntu any time soon, that's for sure :-(

PS. I think Lennart is doing a _terrific_ job; I'm hoping Ubuntu technical
board understands the need to be careful about merging new stuff to avoid
regressions. This experience has been quiet painful for me and I suspect
there is other people still out there with PA related regressions. DS.

I think it would be a good idea to address this situation for Jaunty by
making sure that people who lost audio/mic in hardy->intrepid upgrade will
get it back automatically when upgrading to jaunty. Essentially, either
pulseaudio has to be fixed so that it works on intel-hda cards with
realtek chipset (which is what I got) or pulseaudio needs to be excluded
from jaunty ("yeah right"?). I'm not sure which alternative is
easier/cheaper but it sounds like fixing PA is the way forward? Or, fixing
the ALSA driver if that is the real issue.

This is sort of old news, so has there been any progress on this already
maybe?

Disclaimer: Yes, Skype is proprietary and that sucks; but due to strong
network effects FLOSS is going to have to find a way to deal with this app
for some time. There is no point in me installing Ekiga unless it's
interoperable with Skype because most of the people I talk to use
Skype/win32 (and right now I can't get them to switch).

Martin