Info about Karmic modem manager and mode switching?

Joao Pinto joao.pinto at getdeb.net
Sun Dec 13 21:29:51 UTC 2009

Hello Antti,
I had the same problem, on my case NetworkManager was selecting a random
device from the 4 devices recognized from my Vodafone 3G PCMCIA Card.

I was directed to the following wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingModemmanager

Fortunately on my case the problem is already fixed on the daily trunk,
anyway I would like to understand how it works to isolate the fix and
backport to the stable version.

I was investigation my problem based on HAL information (lshal,
10-modem.fdi) from looking into similar bug reports, after looking at the
modemmanager source I have found I was looking at the wrong place since udev
is now used replacing HAL.

>From mm-manager.c I have found that mm scans/handles devices  with subsystem
"tty" and "net" .

You can get a list of the currently detected udev devices with:
udevadm info --export-db

Now. I  need to find where is the modem date retrieved from I guess there is
an equivalent to hal-info with the modem information.

Hope it helps.

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Antti Turunen <antti.turunen at siptune.fi>wrote:

>  Hello all,
>
> we know there is many 3G modems not yet properly recognized and/or
> connected by modem/network managers in 9.10.
>
> I have been searching around for information how the whole new
> modem-manager thing goes, but I have not been able to find much. Could
> someone tell if there is info somewhere about modem-manager plugins,
> different modem-modeswitch options etc? I am not a SW developer, but would
> like to try some tailoring for certain problematic modem models.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Anttu

João Luís Marques Pinto
GetDeb Team Leader