ubuntu-releases package

Benjamin Drung bdrung at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 7 01:16:40 UTC 2009

Am Sonntag, den 06.12.2009, 03:53 -0500 schrieb James Westby:
> On Mon Nov 23 18:22:55 -0500 2009 Benjamin Drung wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 23.11.2009, 16:28 -0500 schrieb James Westby:
> > > Have you considered making something similar for Debian (though
> > > it's a problem that bites less there)?
> >
> > No. unstable will stay unstable. All my uploads to Debian targeted
> > unstable (that may differ for security and QA people). What kind of
> > information should the debian-release tool offer? What would be the
> > benefit of it?
>
> It would be possible to write tools that worked the way they should
> when targetting that distribution.

The 'release' script is not distro specific.

> > Would a generic interface be a good idea? A 'release' script return the
> > information about the running distro (Debian or Ubuntu).
>
> This would be great for derivatives, they could extend the script and
> tools would know how to work with them instantly.

It should be now extensible.

> > With an
> > parameter -D / --distribution, you could select Debian or Ubuntu.
>
> And if not provided the currently running distribution's information
> would be provided?

'release' will point to the distribution's version of the release tool.

> > 'ubuntu-release' would do the same as 'release -D ubuntu' and
> > 'debian-release' would do the same as 'release -D debian'. Or would this
> > be an overkill?
>
> These scripts are overkill for scripted use I think, but would be
> good if humans wish to use them.

The implementation is different: There are two scripts debian-release
and ubuntu-release. release will be a symlink to one of both.

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)