Here lies the responsiblity

Joseph Miller josephcmiller2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 23:27:15 UTC 2009

> Canonical now has the responsibility, yes let me say that again,
> "Canonical has a responsibility", to the entire Linux world, to be very
> careful with what they put out.  Now I have no problem with releasing
> Karmic but please, for all the rest of us, including other distributions
> and companies that have worked hard over many years to promote Linux,
> MARK IT AS DEVELOPMENT.

I completely agree.  I would have upgraded to Karmic anyways no matter what
it was labelled. But you know what, many people and most new people probably
need the LTS.  And you know what else, I have a hard time finding the LTS on
Ubuntu.com.  Should be a big sign for the LTS and a small link to Karmic for
those of us who want it and have been following the countdown for months.

Google provides email to companies for day-to-day business and these
businesses pay them.  Google has an excellent reputation and is highly
respected in the industry.  How do you think the business image of Google
changed during the major email blackouts for practically an entire business
day for the customers affected?  This is still 99%+ uptime, but if your
company had to put off thousands of dollars worth of business for a day or
even half a day, it would have you a bit worried.  Same thing with a distro
perceived to be not as stable as competing OSes.

-Joseph