Here lies the responsiblity

Randall Ross randall at executiv.es
Tue Dec 1 20:05:47 UTC 2009

At the risk of inciting a "riot of epic proportions", I would like to
propose an alternate hypothesis:

Ubuntu <> Linux.

I think it might be worthwhile to consider and to market Ubuntu for what
it is, a community-developed collection of free software (kernel,
toolchain, GNU utilities, applications) backed by an awesome extended
community (developers, LoCo's, translators, artists, advocates,
sponsors, testers.)

A thought experiment: Would Ubuntu still be Ubuntu without its
monolithic (Linux) kernel? Would "average" users still adopt Ubuntu if
it were using some other kernel? Would they care? (Test case: Apple's
switch to the Mach microkernel in the late nineties.)

Ubuntu has done a fantastic job on the desktop, grabbing market share
ferociously and delighting users worldwide. This has never been done
before by a system using a Linux kernel. There are bound to be bumps
along the road...

Ultimately the responsibility for further greatness and adoption of
Ubuntu rests mostly with the community that is Ubuntu, and with
Canonical as its guide.

Cheers,
Randall
Ubuntu Vancouver Buzz Generator