Why Ubuntu is not ready for prime time

Paul Smith paul at mad-scientist.us
Fri Aug 28 18:07:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 18:30 +0100, Paul.McManus at met.police.uk wrote:

> Quicken, Outlook, Powerpoint, they're all bizzare names.
> Doesn't mean that Ubuntu can't do one better ;-)
>

> I believe the menu system is better in Ubuntu than Windows, however
> all apps could do with having their function added to their name.
> As like "Firefox Web Browser". We know what Firefox is, but in my
> office (still working on Windows 2000!) I don't think I'm the
> majority.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement, I just think that your wish is
already largely a reality.  I took a look through my menus (9.04) and as
far as I can tell ALL the standard applications have their function
shown, either by itself ("Terminal") or in addition to the name
("Rhythmbox Music Player").

There are some apps I've installed from multiverse, etc. that are not
standard parts of Ubuntu where this pattern is not followed (e.g.,
"Emacs 22") but things you've explicitly installed yourself are less
critical in this respect.

If you find apps where this isn't the case I think filing a bug in
Launchpad is perfectly reasonable.