What is going on

William Grant wgrant at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 22 05:22:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 05:08 +0100, richard wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:04:10 -0300
> Derek Broughton <derek at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>
> > richard wrote:
> >

> > > In order to try and get Virtualbox up I reloaded 2.6.28-11 server,
> > > reloaded virtualbox, it starts but borks staring the VM
> > >
> > > I ran apt-get update, in case I had only had a part update.
> > >
> > > and got this:-
> > >
> > > apt-get: update
> > > Get: http://ftp.debian.org sid/main Sources
> > > Get: http://ftp.debian.org sid/contrib Sources
> > > Get: http://ftp.debian.org sid/non-free Sources
> >
> > Why do you think that it's OK to use Debian (sid, no less) sources
> > with Ubuntu?  And then, why would you think we could fix it.  Debian
> > & Ubuntu are _largely_ compatible, but if mixing them breaks things,
> > I'm afraid you're on your own.
>

> I think there are some developers that need to install language packs
> in their brains.

You are required to obey the CoC here. I somehow doubt that is
acceptable.

> ONCE MORE FOR THOSE THAT CANT READ
>
> I DID NOT ADD DEBIAN SID TO THE APT LISTS, IT OCCURRED AFTER AN UPDATE

apt doesn't divine your sources - they are specified somewhere.

Open a clean terminal. Run 'apt-get update'. Give us the output.
Preferably give us sources.list and the contents of sources.list.d.

You mentioned that the architecture had magically changed - that's
impossible. You also wouldn't see the architecture in the place that you
mentioned.

I am very confused. I can see why others thought as they did. Are you
sure you weren't SSHed into another machine?