What is going on

Sarah Hobbs hobbsee at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 22 04:31:04 UTC 2009

On 22/04/09 14:08, richard wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 23:04:10 -0300
> Derek Broughton<derek at pointerstop.ca>  wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:
>>
>>> In order to try and get Virtualbox up I reloaded 2.6.28-11 server,
>>> reloaded virtualbox, it starts but borks staring the VM
>>>
>>> I ran apt-get update, in case I had only had a part update.
>>>
>>> and got this:-
>>>
>>> apt-get: update
>>> Get: http://ftp.debian.org sid/main Sources
>>> Get: http://ftp.debian.org sid/contrib Sources
>>> Get: http://ftp.debian.org sid/non-free Sources
>> Why do you think that it's OK to use Debian (sid, no less) sources
>> with Ubuntu?  And then, why would you think we could fix it.  Debian
>> &  Ubuntu are _largely_ compatible, but if mixing them breaks things,
>> I'm afraid you're on your own.
>

> I think there are some developers that need to install language packs
> in their brains.
>
> Please tell me what part of I did not add Debian Sid sources do you not
> understand.
> I did not what them , I did not add them.
> This occured after an update of about 100 files.
> I just spending most of the night reloading everything , including
> putting Mandriva on a partition because Cadsoft eagle no longer runs or
> loads on 9.04.
> Something is stopping it from creating a /tmp file to install from.
>
> There really need to be a language test for developers, I realise that
> English is not a native tongue to all, but in that the northern end
> of that large continent that sits between the Atlantic and Pacific
> oceans, there is absolutely no excuse for not being able to read
> English.
>

> ONCE MORE FOR THOSE THAT CANT READ
>
> I DID NOT ADD DEBIAN SID TO THE APT LISTS, IT OCCURRED AFTER AN UPDATE
>
> And furthermore the reason I flagged it, apart from being pissed off
> with the hassle, was if that came off one of the mirrors and your
> running something like rsync it would spread very quickly and cause
> chaos just before the release.

Richard, please remember to obey the code of conduct while on this list.

If you did not add debian sid repositories to your system (including
files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/), and another package did, then
perhaps you should be a little more careful about the packages you're
installing, and what else they may be modifying.

Either way, with using such packages, there's certainly no way anyone
here is about to offer support for your system, nor try to reproduce any
bugs that you may encounter, as there's just too much else that could
have happened.

I can't see how this thread is going anywhere productive.