Apt-urls and PackageKit

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 9 19:12:36 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Jef Spaleta from the Fedora Project commented on my recent apt-url blog
post, noting the following:

Just an FYI:
Packagekit developers have developed a packagekit browser plugin which does
something similar.
If/when Ubuntu moves to Packagekit you should be aware of  how the
Packagekit browser plugin works so as to make an assessment of how to handle
the migration of the wiki urls in an coordinated manner with a transition to
PackageKit.

And more forward looking, you might be interested in the recent discussion
about how to take SuSE's one-click-install concept and apply it to the
distribution-neutral PackageKit platform so that people can also easily
install new repositories as well as packages from configured repositories.
Something ppa creators and consumers might be interested in as a technology.

I thought I should pass this along.  Thanks, all.

Jim