Tablet PC under ubuntu - a call to xorg and ubuntu developers

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Mon Sep 29 14:06:49 UTC 2008

On lun, 2008-09-29 at 15:43 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> there will surely be ways to have
> SRUs for intrepid, especially if it comes to hardware support these
> are
> desired, but the core focus in the mobile will be to get all
> touchscreens and tablets fixed and with proper gui calibration tools
> in
> jaunty, not intrepid

Developers please, please please read this, it's not polemic, it's
desperate:

Now  my tablet PC is working with the hacked xorg.conf I posted. I don't
really want to struggle to leave things as they are: if there will be no
way to configure a tablet pc in intrepid I will have no possibility to
escape. I repeat that many bugs related to my hardware have been fixed
in intrepid so it makes no sense to drop support to the most important
one: the tablet.

Some ubuntu developers MUST be worried about this and be able to impose
a transition period over this idea of xorg developers. I just cannot
accept that after two years of convincing people to switch to ubuntu I
will not be able to use it. One thing is to fight for a cause, another
thing is to fight for no reason. I don't want to fight.

Please let us a choice - backport patches that allow to use xorg.conf as
it is - or provide a detailed information on how to REBUILD our
configuration with fdi files, I mean all the tree buttons and pressure
sensitivity. It is not acceptable to give a kick in the a** of every
tablet PC user who dared to switch permanently to ubuntu: I CANNOT
return to windows because I used xournal for my notes. Should we call
this "vendor lock in?". I don't WANT TO. I actually contributed to
xournal in ubuntu some times. I did that because I BELIEVED in ubuntu
and was the only one caring to maintain xournal at the time. So now
please DON'T leave me alone, please DON'T ignore the situation.

Please let's all find a solution. I have a tablet and WILL spend my free
time to test anything you please but intrepid must support tablet PCs -
I do NOT mean autoconfiguration - I mean whatever hack it is but let me
the possibility to use my hardware. Don't tell me to wait 6 months once
more.

Vincenzo