Boot-time improvements

(=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=) -- Fernando ubuntu at bugabundo.net
Sat Sep 13 17:03:05 UTC 2008

Olá Mackenzie e a todos.

On Saturday 13 September 2008 15:59:16 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 8:00 PM, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando
> > On Friday 12 September 2008 14:29:15 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> >> I'm just reading my bootcharts, and those stop at GDM.
> >
> > $ sudo gedit /etc/init.d/stop-bootchart
> > Look for this case, and add a sleep before the stop command.
> >> case "$1" in
> >>     start)
> >>       sleep 60        # linha extra
> >>       stop_bootchart
>
> Sleep 60 would mean that it will no matter what add a minute.  How will it know to stop when the desktop becomes usable?

You can see it at work on my bootcharts. It means that will stop about 60 secs after stop-bootchart as been iniciated, so it records an extra 60 secs.
If your GDM takes longer than that, there is little we can improve the boot... lol

> I recall gksudo being preferred over sudo for GUI apps like gedit, as
> well.  Something about xauth, maybe?

Yeah, ppl keep saying that. Some times i remember and do it, other i just use sudo.
Since after feisty I haven't seen a prob with that, but back then, stuff like gedit or nautilus would go crazy.

> --
> Mackenzie Morgan

Have you seen Orga bootchart?? how can he boot in under 25 secs??!?!
Its the smallest bootchart I've ever seen.

--
BUGabundo  :o)
(``-_-´´)	http://LinuxNoDEI.BUGabundo.net