Boot-time improvements

Marius Gedminas marius at
Thu Sep 11 19:44:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 03:32:00PM -0400, Martin Owens wrote:
> > Hrm, my 2-year old laptop takes bout 45 seconds to boot if I have MySQL,
> > Apache2, and MythTV's server set to start at boot.  Actually, the 4-year
> > old laptop might take about that long regularly...haven't booted that in
> > a while.  I wonder what causes such variation?  Certainly the processes
> > that need to start do, but a default install without any extra services
> > ought not to require more than 40 seconds on a laptop less than 2 years
> > old.  In cases where it does, there has to be a reason, but how do we
> > find it?
> Reading the Fedora research into this problem they seemed to find a
> whole bunch of places where the code was told to wait for a second, or
> what for half a minute on both boot up and shutdown.
> No mater how new the laptop it'll still wait for 30 seconds for nothing.

Here's my 1:28 bootchart:

There are at most 4 seconds of idle waiting.

Hey, I see zope2.9 taking quite a bit of the time (20 seconds).  I no
longer need that.  sudo apt-get remove to the rescue!

And here's my 1:09 bootchart:
It also has zope2.9, but I don't see offhand why it is 20 seconds
shorter than the first one.  What is that 'exe' process near the start?

Marius Gedminas
Linux is a fast moving project, with very fast evolving components. If you're
using an older distribution, older than 4 to 6 months (and anything with
"Enterprise" in the name is by definition old), please consider going to a
newer distribution.