Boot-time improvements

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 19:32:00 UTC 2008

> Hrm, my 2-year old laptop takes bout 45 seconds to boot if I have MySQL,
> Apache2, and MythTV's server set to start at boot.  Actually, the 4-year
> old laptop might take about that long regularly...haven't booted that in
> a while.  I wonder what causes such variation?  Certainly the processes
> that need to start do, but a default install without any extra services
> ought not to require more than 40 seconds on a laptop less than 2 years
> old.  In cases where it does, there has to be a reason, but how do we
> find it?

Reading the Fedora research into this problem they seemed to find a
whole bunch of places where the code was told to wait for a second, or
what for half a minute on both boot up and shutdown.

No mater how new the laptop it'll still wait for 30 seconds for nothing.

Making sure the code isn't doing this kind of hack will improve things
and I reckon they made good progress.

Best Regards, Martin Owens