Bugs marked incomplete

Chris Coulson chrisccoulson at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 2 07:04:43 UTC 2008

2008/9/2 Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com>

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 01:54:21AM +0200, Wouter Stomp wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 11:44 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com>
> wrote:
> > > First, afaik automatic-expiration is not enabled for Ubuntu.  It tracks
> > > when bugs will expire but doesn't close them without human action.
> > >

> > Ok, so what does expiring mean then?
>
> Auto-expiration is a Launchpad feature that can be enabled on a
> per-project (but not per-source) basis.  So, some non-Ubuntu Launchpad
> using projects may have it flipped on.  Ubuntu made the decision that
> auto-expiring bugs was not desireable, so in Ubuntu the "expires in X
> days" is more of just a hint for triagers and reporters.
>
> > > So... I think this isn't a problem.  If you could show a (recent)
> > > example where something in Ubuntu got expired this way, that'd be worth
> > > knowing about.
> > >

> > No I don't :-) (although if I remember right it did happen to some of
> > my bugs a while ago) I guess I misunderstood the expiring concept.
> > Thanks for explaining.
>
> Sure.  There was a brief period a while ago when this was turned on by
> default for Ubuntu, which may be what you remember.  AFAIK all bugs that
> were closed due to this, were reopened.
>
> Bryce

Unfortunately, some triagers do just close bugs when they are marked ready
to expire, without actually checking whether the reporter provided the
requested information. I have re-opened one such report recently, although I
don't want to share the bug report number publicly on the mailing list
without contacting the triager first.

Regards
Chris