Proposal for apt install-recommends settings

Christopher James Halse Rogers chalserogers at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 22:26:20 UTC 2008

Because I suck, here's the mail I accidentally privately sent.

On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 20:03 +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:
snip
>Perhaps you've seen it already, Synaptic has such a switch in it's
> preferences. While this switch isn't ill-placed there, I think it
> would be an advantage to put this into a more global place, like the
> sources.list file. Then, the adjustment of this switch would go to
> the package sources selector accordingly.
>
> What would you think about a global switch, without making a hijack-
> package?

Isn't the contents /etc/apt/apt.conf.d already such a global switch?
Would you like a low-priority debconf question to more easily toggle
this (I have no idea how acceptable such a question would be; I suspect
it would be frowned upon)?  All the tools have the ability to override
global preferences too (--without-recommends for aptitude, for example).

I'm not sure that installing/removing a package to flip a config switch
is particularly elegant - it seems like it would be more useful to
educate the relevant users about the rich apt configuration options
available.