Proposal for apt install-recommends settings

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Mon Oct 27 19:03:10 UTC 2008

Am 24.10.2008 um 16:07 schrieb vidd:

> In Intrepid (8.10), this behavior has changed. Now recommends are
> being
> treated as depends.
> For the majority of users, this is tolerable.
> However, for some users, particularly net-device users, low-spec
> servers, and minimalists, this is a heavy burden.

I share this view, there are plenty of situations where you really
don't want to waste disk space and/or processor cycles.

> I have a proposal that would easily remove this burden for the user
> that
> wishes to not install recommends by default, and yet easily enable the
> install recommends for those that want it:

Perhaps you've seen it already, Synaptic has such a switch in it's
preferences. While this switch isn't ill-placed there, I think it
would be an advantage to put this into a more global place, like the
sources.list file. Then, the adjustment of this switch would go to
the package sources selector accordingly.

What would you think about a global switch, without making a hijack-
package?

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/