Joysticks/joypads/etc information needed for Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex and later

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 11:17:52 UTC 2008

Martin Pitt wrote:
> Loïc Martin [2008-10-20 18:40 +0200]:
>
>> Stating with Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex and due to changes in Xorg, each
>> model of joystick needs a special file to be recognised properly.
>>

> That's not actually true. The kernel already knows very well about
> which device is a joystick, there is just a bug in hal to not
> recognize it at all and not have a device for /dev/input/jsX.

I'll change the sentence then, maybe like :

"Stating with Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex and due to changes in Xorg, each
model of joystick needs a special file to be used properly."

However, at the moment the only way for an Intrepid user to get its
joystick recognised is to create an fdi file for his specific model of
joystick (I won't mention aditing xorg.conf since it's not really newbie
friendly)
> The current model specific .fdi file in xserver-xorg-input-joystick is
> really just a quick hack, but we shouldn't really go down that route.

So which route should we go to enable joysticks in Intrepid?
> Instead, hal needs to be fixed to properly recognize joysticks, and
> add the usual "local foreground user can access the device" ACL magic.

Will that be added as an SRU for Intrepid, and in the meantime what can
users do? Recent hardware (not talking about joystick, but mother board,
sound chipsets and graphic cards etc...) aren't supported by Hardy and
older, so what can the users do in the meantime short of creating an fdi
file? Or are you suggesting user patching hal themselves would be
simpler and easier than copy/pasting a fdi file?

Thanks,
Loïc