Request for updating libnet-sip-perl and libio-socket-ssl-perl

Steffen Ullrich Steffen_Ullrich at genua.de
Fri Oct 17 06:09:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 04:53:47PM +0200, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Steffen,
>
> Steffen Ullrich [2008-09-22 22:31 +0200]:
> > I'm the author and maintainer of the Net::SIP perl module.
> > You ship with hardy a version 0.39, which isn't the newest.
> > In the mean time a lot of bugs got fixed so that it would
> > be a good idea to update it.
>
> Intrepid has newer versions of those (0.45.3-1 and 1.13-1). We don't
> generally put new versions into stable releases. Instead, we backport
> specific patches to fix important bugs (see [1]). Is there anything we
> should particularly fix in hardy?

The thing is, that Net::SIP is an evolving project, which is still
in beta. So there is not one specific bug, which might be backported,
but several, which can't really be backported.
Most of the newer versions of Net::SIP just fix bugs which
occure in the SIP environment of the user, because every endpoint
interprets the RFC a bit different.
So maybe one should not consider Net::SIP as stable yet.

IO::Socket::SSL is different. This is a stable project, so that
mostly new features and small bugfixes get added.
So if a user wants to use the new features he could probably just
install a newer version from CPAN directly.

> > Because I'm using ubuntu myself I would be willing to help
> > maintaining these packages or maintain them myself.
>
> Thank you for the offer! So far we didn't really "maintain" those
> packages in Ubuntu, because they "just work" (which is really a credit
> to your Debian maintenance :) ). So a great thing for you to do is to

I don't maintain the debian packages too.
So maybe I should contact the maintainer there.

> poke Ubuntu to sync a new version of these packages if you upload
> something important to Debian, if the DebianImportFreeze is over for
> the current development release. Preferred method is to file a sync
> request ("requestsync" script in the ubuntu-dev-tools package), or
> just ask on #ubuntu-devel or this list.

Thanks for the information.

Steffen

--
GeNUA Gesellschaft für Netzwerk - und Unix-Administration mbH
Domagkstr. 7, D-85551 Kirchheim. http://www.genua.de

Geschäftsführer: Dr. Magnus Harlander, Dr. Michaela Harlander,
Bernhard Schneck. Amtsgericht München HRB 98238