No inverse searches for dvi files in ubuntu - please read!

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Sat Oct 4 12:44:30 UTC 2008

For the sake of other ubuntueros and texers out there, I just took the
hardy packages for kviewshell and kdvi in order and installed them with
gdebi, and it works.

Intrepid is currently dropping a functionality which is necessary in
scientific and academic environments, that is: inverse searches when
using tex, using a modern and self-configured viewer. Two packages are
missing from hardy that make this possible: kviewshell and kdvi.
Intrepid needs to keep these packages until okular is capable of
inverse searches.

Please developers comment - I am absolutely not convinced that things
can remain as they are, as a researcher and ubuntu user (at the same
time).

Vincenzo