Very bad status of hardware (especially wifi) support in ubuntu, due to the too many accumulated regressions

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Sun Nov 23 15:48:41 UTC 2008

Mackenzie Morgan ha scritto:
> On Fri, 2008-11-21 at 10:50 +0000, Alex Cockell wrote:
>> As well as a field-test team, may I suggest that updates are subject to
>> a release-candidate-with-positive-signoff-and-test-battery process?
>
> All updates go to the -proposed repo.  If any regressions are reported
> against these -proposed updates, they are not released to the main
> archive.

This is certainly not true during alpha and beta testing, which is a
shame. Please contradict me and tell me that I am wrong :) because it
seems to me that I reported regressions to -proposed many times, and the
response time has been so long that the package made it into main and
then to stable. That was where my thread started.

I would be so happy if it is was sufficient to say "hey! there's a
regression" to stop a wrong update during testing until the bug report
has been triaged, that I would install jaunty next week and start happy
testing again (yes I plan to skip intrepid in any case :) ).

Is there any specific tag that one can use to stop the -proposed update
go to main during alpha and beta testing?

BTW I finally bought the alternate network card, it works out of the box
in hardy, but NOT in hardy.1 where it is broken in various poorly
understandable ways. So this brought out some more tears out of my eyes.
Then I dried those.

Vincenzo