Do you really want developers to be on this list was (Re: Very bad status of hardware (especially wifi) support in ubuntu, due to the too many accumulated regressions)

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Thu Nov 13 11:07:32 UTC 2008

Andrew Sayers ha scritto:

>> What I'd like to raise - how does one write such a database, when there
>> is no clear-cut answer on whether this card, with this driver, works?
>
> Since we're talking about regressions here, one solution would be to
> make downgrading as easy as upgrading, and to request an optional
> hardware profile immediately before a user up/downgrades.

That you can't do for your life: in feisty, my hardware works (well,
don't know about the webcam, actually). But at office, I have hardy, and
I use lyx from there. The version of lyx in feisty will not read the
files I produce at office. Indeed, there are plenty of bugfixes which
are not regressions, and I couldn't stick with feisty forever. What I
can do, is to install feisty and use it when I really need it. But for a
network card it isn't that simple as you can imagine. The point raised
by Sarah, how do you organise such a database and how can you be
"boolean" in saying that something does not work, is an extremely good
question. I need to think about it and see if I can suggest a solution
or not. A "quantitative" yet simple answer is that by looking at
launchpad I can immediately tell that "iwl3945 drivers suck" :) But this
does not solve the problem of creating a good hardware support database,
which seems to be quantitative rather than boolean in many cases.

Vincenzo