Do you really want developers to be on this list was (Re: Very bad status of hardware (especially wifi) support in ubuntu, due to the too many accumulated regressions)

Andrew Sayers andrew-ubuntu-devel at pileofstuff.org
Thu Nov 13 10:13:26 UTC 2008

Sarah - this should make sense on its own, but it builds on an idea I
suggested in
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2008-November/006250.html

which you might provide a little background to this post.

> 3) There are plenty of other hardware regressions by which I am affected
> and I feel like these should be a bit more acknowledged by developers.
> Because I can't be the only one."
>
> What I'd like to raise - how does one write such a database, when there
> is no clear-cut answer on whether this card, with this driver, works?

Since we're talking about regressions here, one solution would be to
make downgrading as easy as upgrading, and to request an optional
hardware profile immediately before a user up/downgrades.  Spotting
problematic hardware then becomes a relatively simple statistical
problem: when a user gives their hardware profile ready for an upgrade,
they can be informed "you have <device X>, users with <device X> were n%
more likely than average to downgrade.  Are you sure you want to continue?".

	- Andrew