[ubuntu-x] Fwd: Wacom tablets, TabletPC and Xorg support for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 22:40:24 UTC 2008

Bryce Harrington a écrit :
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 05:47:38PM +0100, Lo?c Martin wrote:
>>> 2) update the linux wacom driver to the latest (even beta) release.
>> I think it's already the case, Intrepid use the beta driver 0.8.1.4, and
>> Jaunty uses the 0.8.1.6. 0.8.1.4 has a bug that severly affect some
>> users (input freeze when the pen touch the screen), thus the threads
>> where everybody is advise to compile the drivers (not necessary, see
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom/LatestDriver ) even when it's
>> just an xorg.conf problem.
>>
>> However, we could stress the importance of SRU updates, but from my
>> experience the sync between ubuntu packages and upstream has been quite
>> good since Feisty.
>
>> For Intrepid and 0.8.1.6, there's
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wacom-tools/+bug/291908 which
>> we could use for an SRU. Anyone taking care of that? My last SRU was for
>> Gutsy, I could try and find again what the steps are, but it took one
>> month and a half for just a single dependency addition to an universe
>> package - no source change, and I can already see Jaunty releasing
>> before an SRU from a non-developer was be accepted.
>
> The process is written at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
>
> If you would do steps 2.1, 2.2, and 2.4, I can take care of all the
> other steps.

I'll have a look at it.

However, if we're aiming for an SRU (even though I'm all for it) there's
Bug #292248: which suggest some Ubuntu/Debian patches might get in the
way.

Sadly, the LWP doesn't list the 0.8.1.4 (binary or source) drivers from
the Linux Wacom Project, else Matheus could have tried if they work for
him. Let's hope I'm wrong and an 0.8.1.6 Ubuntu packages fixes it.

If I'm completely wrong somebody might remember a bug in the LWP
that show they also encountered this bug in 0.8.1.4. But before doing
steps 2.1 and following, getting an Ubuntu package so
the users can test might help with 2.3

I'm planning to get up to speed with building packages for Jaunty, but
that will take me about a week (no kidding) of reading, and I can't code
(strangely, patching sometimes work on my end, but writting the patch
itself is out of my league). Jaunty still has 0.8.1.4, so I can't just
apt-get source, rebuild it for Intrepid and propose it to test to users
affected with the bug.

Last time i tried packaging xserver-xorg-input-wacom was for Feisty, and
after a few days I had to admit it's out of my league. I can apply a
patch that's done for a certain code, but the code between 2 versions of
the drivers change and patches from the last Ubuntu package aren't
straightforward on another version of the source code.

> If you're comfortable doing some coding/patch work, doing step 2.3 as
> well would be a huge help and would speed this process along
> considerably.  If not, I can try to fit it in my todo list but I'm
> pretty swamped so may not be able to get to it very soon.

It's not I'm not confortable, it's just I don't know how to code and
I've tried that with xserver-xorg-input-wacom before, so I know it's not
an easy one (Timo Aaltonen has done great job for wacom drivers :hint: ).

However, if somebody can offer an 0.8.1.6 ubuntu package, or get one
into Jaunty, I can help other people try it and test it, and summarize
it for step 2.3

>> Having an UI to configure wacom devices is a really good idea. You can
>> have a look at wacomcpl for ideas for options and how it works.
>> Actually, developing an UI wouldn't just be a stopgap mesure for Jaunty
>> if Xorg & wacom don't get HAL/wacom sorted out in time, since your UI
>> could as well output the configuration in xorg.conf or in 10-wacom.fdi.
>
> Cool, Loic can we ask you to draw a quick mockup of one or two ideas on
> how it could work and be laid out?  A scanned in paper sketch would be
> fine, or if you want to get fancy then done up in Gimp or Glade would be
> great.  I think this would be helpful to code to, if we do go this
> route.

I'll get into it tomorrow. i'll create a page on the wiki, post some
mockups (for tonight I've spend too much time on launchpad already ;) )
and keep ubuntu-x in touch - ETA should be (at the maximum) before the
end of the week.

Ping also replied on linuxwacom (see
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=167e8a330811100954w6bacffddw3442469fa6b8447e%40mail.gmail.com
)
> The new hotplugging (Xorg 1.5.1 or later) will be supported with linuxwacom
> version 0.8.4 (0.8.3 will be its unstable release)

Thanks,
Loïc