[ubuntu-x] Fwd: Wacom tablets, TabletPC and Xorg support for Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty)

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Mon Nov 10 18:40:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 05:47:38PM +0100, Lo?c Martin wrote:
> > 2) update the linux wacom driver to the latest (even beta) release.
>
> I think it's already the case, Intrepid use the beta driver 0.8.1.4, and
> Jaunty uses the 0.8.1.6. 0.8.1.4 has a bug that severly affect some
> users (input freeze when the pen touch the screen), thus the threads
> where everybody is advise to compile the drivers (not necessary, see
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom/LatestDriver ) even when it's
> just an xorg.conf problem.
>
> However, we could stress the importance of SRU updates, but from my
> experience the sync between ubuntu packages and upstream has been quite
> good since Feisty.

> For Intrepid and 0.8.1.6, there's
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wacom-tools/+bug/291908 which
> we could use for an SRU. Anyone taking care of that? My last SRU was for
> Gutsy, I could try and find again what the steps are, but it took one
> month and a half for just a single dependency addition to an universe
> package - no source change, and I can already see Jaunty releasing
> before an SRU from a non-developer was be accepted.

The process is written at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates

If you would do steps 2.1, 2.2, and 2.4, I can take care of all the
other steps.

If you're comfortable doing some coding/patch work, doing step 2.3 as
well would be a huge help and would speed this process along
considerably.  If not, I can try to fit it in my todo list but I'm
pretty swamped so may not be able to get to it very soon.

> Having an UI to configure wacom devices is a really good idea. You can
> have a look at wacomcpl for ideas for options and how it works.
> Actually, developing an UI wouldn't just be a stopgap mesure for Jaunty
> if Xorg & wacom don't get HAL/wacom sorted out in time, since your UI
> could as well output the configuration in xorg.conf or in 10-wacom.fdi.

Cool, Loic can we ask you to draw a quick mockup of one or two ideas on
how it could work and be laid out?  A scanned in paper sketch would be
fine, or if you want to get fancy then done up in Gimp or Glade would be
great.  I think this would be helpful to code to, if we do go this
route.

Bryce