Very bad status of hardware (especially wifi) support in ubuntu, due to the too many accumulated regressions

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 09:20:29 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> That said, I do like generalizing.  :-)  I think there is a cyclical
> thing in FOSS, where you have some legacy thing that works 80%, and
> upstream decides to get that last 20% it requires a major rewrite.  They
> expect it to get to 90-95%, so distros adopt it, but when the dust
> settles it works at just 85%...
>
> ...and unfortunately the 15% it doesn't cover is different than the 20%
> the legacy system didn't cover, and that 15% is rightfully pissed that
> they are seeing a regression when things worked so well before.

OTOH hand this means that the drivers together cover more than 85%.
Would it perhaps be worth making both drivers easily available on the
same kernel?

I guess ideally we would scan the CVS automatically compiling each
module, and identify the exact revision that caused the regression.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student