Inclusion of a mobile management tool

Viktor Nagy viktor.nagy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:25:05 UTC 2008

I definitely agree with Martin,

I just switched phone. Before I used wammu, and I've found it really good,
especially when my phone started to really break down, and it was hard to
write even a simple SMS, as in Wammu you can write it, BUT

Wammu exports and imports only his own formats, and even though you can
convert its backup to vcal/vcard it's really hard to find this info, and my
new phone isn't supported by wammu.

I have the feeling that opensync and its better integration is the right
approach, unfortunately I have found opensyc to be very unreliable for the
moment, or at least the plugins I wanted to use (like Gcal and SynCe for
example).

On the other hand it would be really nice to have proper mobil tools to
synchronize (and backup) calendar, mail and contacts.

2008/11/3 Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com>

> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 22:56 +0530, Chandru wrote:
> > One very common use of a mobile management app is backup of contacts.
> > Apart from that if need be (not exactly too common), back up text
> > messages.
> >
> > But beyond that Wammu provides capabilities to manage mobile's
> > calendar, To Do, etc, etc which can come handy at times.
>
> Then it's an app for accessing the data stored on a phone? Yes this
> should be integrated further into other systems. A library for example
> like libgpod so that any program could access the data.
>
> Then things like opensync could take care of the job without any
> specific programs for mobile phones. (which mobile phones? the iphone?
> the ROM blackberries? Nokia symbian phones?)
>
> Regards, Martin

Viktor Nagy - http://viktornagy.com
PhD student
Toulouse School of Economics