Should default keyboard be based on location?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Tue May 27 00:07:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 03:31:44PM +0200, Vincenzo Ciancia wrote:
> Il giorno lun, 26/05/2008 alle 13.39 +0100, Caroline Ford ha scritto:
> > UK keyboards are different, and computers here always come with UK
> > keyboards. Our keyboards have £ above the 3, and " and @ are in
> > different places.
>
> In Italy, computer nearly always come with italian keyboard, and those
> who use an english keyboard are already used to changing the layout on
> the fly whenever they go to other pcs or whenever they just have to
> write something in italian and want accented characters. So I think the
> proposal to choose default keyboard based on location might make sense
> in italy. Perhaps this should be done on a country by country base.

Fortunately, it is. Installations selecting a location in the UK default
to a UK keyboard mapping; installations selecting a location in Italy
default to an Italian keyboard mapping.

(It's not difficult to test this before posting; boot a desktop CD in
kvm or whatever and run through up to the keyboard selection page with
the locale of your choice.)

Cheers,