Should default keyboard be based on location?

Evan eapache at gmail.com
Sat May 24 20:20:31 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Yannick Gingras <ygingras at ygingras.net>
wrote:

> Since it knows where I live at this point, shouldn't the
> installer default to Canadian layout?

Not necessarily. The keyboard layout is different from the locale. It is
(AFAIK) possible to use any layout of keyboard with any locale from any
location. While living in Germany might point towards the use of a
german-layout keyboard, any decision really depends on what percent of
German users actually use german-layout keyboards.

I live in an English-speaking country, and I rarely encounter keyboards that
aren't US-English. It's quite possible that German-layout keyboards are the
norm in Germany. However, it is my guess that the standard US-English layout
is common enough that it makes sense to leave this as-is.

Just my two cents,
Evan