Bug madness: High frequency of load/unload cycles

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed May 14 06:11:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 07:58 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> please read the article again... relatime might help as part of a
> workaround but the article makes pretty clear that there is no sane way
> you can solve it on the software side in a nonintrusive way, its a
> hardware vendor setting and hardware vendors need to fix it.

Could a list of vendors who make crappy hard drives (ie ones with this
issue) be made so we all can avoid them?  I can say my Western Digitals
don't have the issue, though they do have a tendency to die anyway (bad
sectors and dead circuitry, no clicking or oddly high disk i/o).

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo