Some fundamental usability issues

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Thu May 8 12:00:26 UTC 2008

Am 08.05.2008 um 11:38 schrieb Vincenzo Ciancia:
> OSX does automatic backup and versioning,

The newest Mac OS X ships with an application which can be told to do
backups. It's well integrated into the OS' appearance, though.

Automatic backup, as provided with the OS distribution, requires an
external or networked disk and has to be explicitely turned on.

> but I don't know how all these systems handle the
> main problem, which is: the file size will grow without bounds.

AFAIK, Apple simply ignores this problem. You either have enough disk
space, or ... well, I don't know what TimeMachine does in disk full
conditions. Probably it simply stops doing it's work until you clean
up manually.

All you can do to avoid such cases is to switch to another backup
system and/or exclude specific folders/directories.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/