[Umc-dev] Discussion agenda for UDS-Intrepid around the integration of Elisa media center

Loïc Dardant loic.dardant at gmail.com
Sun May 4 17:55:02 UTC 2008

Hi !

2008/4/24 Alessandro Decina <alessandro.d at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Loïc Dardant <loic.dardant at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> Hi
>
> > For UMC, I work for the Lirc part, as said Arnaud on the namepsace and
> hal
> > parts. But I'm always interested to do some other work (for example
> finish
> > the elisa lirc plugin, if it's still needed).
>
> I don't know exactly how's the status of the lirc plugin but i'm sure that
> any
> help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> > For UMC, I think the project is maybe too big for a beginning. An
> > integration on ubuntu should be a start point for us. The creation of a
> new
> > flavor of ubuntu should be delay in my opinion, because we must
> concentrate
> > the current force on a smaller project, like elisa integration.
>
> I don't know much about UMC but I agree that we should try to have good
> media center integration in Ubuntu.
>
> > It can be a good idea to develop this integration during (or before with
> > some of us who can't attend UDS) the UDS and create strike force with
> the
> > current UMC guys and everyone motivated.
> >
> > What do you think of that ?
>
> Sounds great.
> How do we get this started? :)

Just some ideas :

-> remote control support / keyboard support
    lirc task
    other remote control, like with the hand on a touch screen, with the
voice, ...
    find what you want with a virtual keyboard
    more control : create a playlist,...

-> integration like mac os x = just press a button
    get all your media in one click
    ubuntu theme : maybe something transparent : same as elisa but no black
screen, you can see your desktop behind. For example you chat on irc, and
you're waiting a response. You can reopen elisa and see what happen behind

-> gnome/kde controller/applet for elisa -> typical use case, you don't want
to reopen elisa just to play the next song

-> an option to launch it at startup

-> a plugin to configure elisa : gtk,pigment or web server
    configuration with text file is no "desktop ready"

-> do something if no graphics driver are available : is it possible to have
elisa with no 3D effects ?

-> integration with device : if elisa is your media center, when you plug
your digital camera, elisa shows you a list of action, same for device like
mp3 device.

-> something with telepathy : don't know why, but i guess we can do some
funny things

All comments are welcome !

There is nothing on the wiki page. Does someone write something somewhere
already ?

--
Loïc Dardant