Who wants to share their PPAs?

(=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=) -- Fernando ubuntu at bugabundo.net
Thu Mar 20 22:06:49 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 19:52:25 Ted Gould wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 11:33 +0000, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> > After taking a look at Pau Garcia (pgquiles) ppa I felt the need
> > to take a look at a few more ppas.
> >
> > Who here has PPA with post Hardy packages that wouldn't mind
> > letting me try them on test Ubuntu Hardy?
>
> Please, come join my PPA:
>
>     http://launchpad.net/~botnet-project/+archive
>
> You can help deliver important messages to people all over the world
> unaware of how my helpful products can make their lives easier!  You
> need to do nothing!  Just add the PPA and update your system, I'll take
> care of everything from there.
>
> Seriously though, it should be noted that you should only add PPAs from
> people you seriously trust.  All you need to create one is an e-mail
> address, and from there on they can upload any package they want, which
> would then appear as an update to your system.  While PPAs are useful
> tools (which I use a lot) it's important to note the security risks and
> probably an e-mail to a public list with "install software on my system"
> is not a good idea.
>
> 		--Ted

I've seen a bunch at ppa.launchpad.net (ps. that shouldnt be open like that, should it?), and add a few to try out.
Most seem to have stopped a few weeks to months updating... maybe when their stuff got updated on hardy.

I know quite well how dangerous it is to have strangers PPA or any other kind of mirrors.

On the other hand I found a new feature on update-manager. It alerts the user that s/he has updates that are from another non-official mirror.
If only synaptic would provide so much info while installing (I know the user can see the mirror using the Origin tab).

Still I'll have a look at what you have in there. Maybe I have common interests with you... by the way, how easy is it for users to reports probs with PPA originating packages? By mistake, any user will try to report against Ubuntu official packages and not against the bug tracker on PPA, right?

--
BUGabundo  :o)
(``-_-´´)	http://Ubuntu.BUGabundo.net