Bug and discussion about ubuntu menu

Ioannis Nousias s0238762 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun Mar 16 00:06:55 UTC 2008

Ouattara Oumar Aziz (alias wattazoum) wrote:
> Thank you for this constructive comment. Technically speaking, it'll be
> very hard to have every section GUIs merged into one (as those are
> different applications). So there is 2 solutions I see :
> - Using sub menu for section :
>
> System
> ` configuration
>    | - Personal Info
>    |   | - timezone
>    |   | - language
>    |   ` - About Me
>    | - Display
>    |   | - resolution
>    |   | - appearance
>    |   ` - screensaver
>    | - Sound
>    | - Input
>    | - Printers
>    | - Peripheral Devices
>    | - Network Connectivity
>    | - Security
>    ` - Disks and Storage
>        | - Backup
>        | - Partition Editor
>        ` - Maintenance
>
> - using some /mini control center Guis/ by section :
>
> System
> ` configuration
>    | - Personal Info
>    | - Display
>    | - Sound
>    | - Input
>    | - Printers
>    | - Peripheral Devices
>    | - Network Connectivity
>    | - Security
>    ` - Disks and Storage
>
> Some feelings about these ideas ?

It looks nice. My personal view as a user is that menus are 'slow'. The
restructuring ideas you guys suggest will certainly speed things up
(navigating your way across menu options), but they will still be slow.

I don't use menus. First thing I do after a fresh install is remove the
menu applet. I rely solely on semantic search using deskbar. Deskbar is
by no means perfect, but it's much faster finding what you need, from
launching applications to those obscure configuration tools.

It's nice to get the menus 'cleaned up', but if something really needs
attention is semantic search across the entire desktop. If well thought
and designed, something like deskbar can become really powerful.

But since we are talking about menus, wouldn't it be cool if by typing
in it starts filtering out irrelevant options ? (with a little text-box,
like the one appearing in nautilus for instance).

regards,
Ioannis