[Rpm-maint] Re: LSB Package API

devzero2000 pinto.elia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 13:15:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Pär Lidén <par.liden at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently installed SPSS (a closed-source statistical program), and the
> downloaded .bin file for Linux contained an installation progam using
> Installshield (probably the same as they are using on Windows).

I have had a similar experience with websphere on linux but i am sure for
experience that the problem is common at other . The "graphical and
interactive" installation program was Installshield. Result:

1- The installer had installed 6 rpm without no file - empty
2- The installer had installed an true - almost - rpm but it doesn't exist
apparently on in installation CD
3 - The installer had installed the websphere sw as is, without rpm.
4-  For update the software i have - always interactive - apply  some patch:
sometime worked fine, sometime no
5-  The postinstaller of websphere changed my httpd.conf . The default
install is for websphere to run as "root" : nice.
6 - i have to patch manually some file of one of or four (iirc) jvm included
and have to create an init script ecc.
7- The installer want X windows and so : ok, exists also a silent install

The time necessary generally was 2 or 3 days ( often also more)

Problem:

Q- it is repetable the installation ? It is simple to install on many system
in batch mode, without human intervention?
R: No
Q- Can i update my system thereafter with safety?
R: No as I don't know the dependency
Q- Can I update webshere on a live system without loss of services ?
R- No

So, guess: I had done an RPM (two, one was an rpmrebuild), the patch are
%patch, the deps are included ecc. and so i can live happy.
What is more i can install it, thanks at rpm, in a multiarch (32/64) system
and i can upgrade it online . Ok, it is a huge rpm (28000 files or so) but
who cares ? (sure for deb it is possible to do the some thing )

So, at the end, the question is :

sure that this installer method is a good reference model  ? I prefer a good
package management system (as rpm or deb) and not an installer as this. As
everyone know there are basic difference between an installer and an package
management system.

Sorry for the long post.

Regards