making deals with M$

Chandru chandru.in at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 18:02:57 UTC 2008

I guess Novell has some sort of protection through the deal.  Because from
what I had read somewhere, there was no mention of Mono in deals wiht others
like Linspire and Xandros but the Novell deal did mention it.

And I have the same doubt as you.  Especially the non-ecma parts like Mono's
implementation of ADO.NET which also is bundled by default in Ubuntu CDs .

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Milosz Derezynski <internalerror at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sorry for dropping in.
>
> Has there been any mention of Microsoft that they will never, ever sue
> anyone who uses Mono nor the Mono developers themselves, or is this all
> under the Novell/Microsoft convenant? If they never made such a statement,
> on what else than pure hope that they will never litigate can something like
> Mono be built?
>
> -- Milosz
>
> 2008/6/8 Chandru <chandru.in at gmail.com>:
>
>> Yup much better!!  But it is more than an year.  :D
>>
>> Also, Java has a much more evolved open-source ecosystem around it.  All
>> those extremely high quality Apache projects.  Of course, Java tops among
>> Sourceforge projects too.  It is really unfortunate that Hardy is not
>> shipping with Java.  But yes I can see the CD space constraints coming in.
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> OK, fine, it's in the same boat that Java was in a year ago.  Better?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mackenzie Morgan
>>> http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com
>>> apt-get moo
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Chandra Sekar.S
>>
>> e-mail: chandru.in at gmail.com
>> Blog: http://tuxychandru.blogspot.com/
>>
>> We choose the brand of our Mobile Phone, Motorbike, Car, Shirt, Shoe,
>> Bread, etc. Then why not the brand of our OS too?
>>
>> Pre-loading and forcing Vista on new laptops kills consumers' choice.
>> Fight for choice of OS just as there is for the Hard Disk capacity in new
>> laptops.
>>
>> --

Chandra Sekar.S